Server map cycle

Doom

Why don't we add more maps to the cycle?

I was thinking about maps like Vjun3 or other  single player maps.I noticed they are very playable on servers with better population.Me and many other people are bored of all this mp/ffa maps like Taspir for example or duel_5 which is eating lots of fps with this ugly lava.I love Vjun3, one of my favorites.

So my suggestion is adding more single player maps to the cycle and remove the ones ppl most likely dont want to play on like duel_5.We have good modders in JAWA, that can mod some of the single player maps putting teleports to different places, some cosmetic changes, etc.

It may also help us rise the number of people playing on our server.

p.s. By duel_5 i mean the taspir duel map, not sure about the correct name.

• Like 4

These are really different questions.  You can use SP maps in MP, but they weren't designed for MP, and making them more user-friendly takes more then just entity modding.  But you can't do that and have them work for people who haven't downloaded them.  I actually made an MP version of Vjun 3, but it needs more work, and you'd need to download it in order to join the server.

Removing maps from the rotation isn't a great idea, in my opinion.  The rotation only includes six maps, and everyone has their likes and dislikes.  I've heard people calling to take ffa4 out, ffa5, and duel5.  If we did all that, we'd be down to three maps.  Two of the others could still be voted up, but you can't call a vote to visit a duel map in ffa mode.  Most people like playing on a variety of maps, even if they have some they like more than others.  But nobody has to download any of them.

If there's a map you don't like, call a vote for a different map.  Either people will agree with you and vote to go somewhere else, or they won't because they prefer staying where they are.  Again, I'm only speaking for myself, not for the whole council.

Helena

if you add more maps, you won't be limited to 6, you would have a bigger map pool.

removing maps wouldn't seem like you're being dwindled down to a mere 3-4.

you wouldn't really be compromising any server activity, since its quite sporadic, and would be a fun exercise to see if it would increase server activity = )

Also i just noticed a thing when trying to make a solo server. theres an option you can click to allow people to download the map from the server. Obviously i dont know anything about the Jawa server's hosting but that might be another option if we add maps in

@Helena Revan, not really sure what are you modding to these SP maps, but i've been on servers with FFA3 for example with lots of new things added and changed without downloading anything.Same for all the SP maps ppl use on their servers.

My suggestion isn't adding maps that people would have to download to be able to play.

Can't remember the exact name of the map, the one we used on the last league for the TFFA event, is also an awesome dueling map.It's not big, cool spots and bridges to duel on or to chat up and listen the birds in the trees.

If theres enough desire, everything can happen. :)

19 hours ago, Link said:

The good thing about entity modded maps is that it's actually really easy, anyone can do it. I wrote a tutorial on it like 10 years ago with a lot of help from BobaFett (UU guy) which is still applicable to this day:

https://jkhub.org/topic/10064-adding-entities-to-maps-after-compiling-editing-base-maps/

The only downside is, heavily modded maps turn people away (Me included) and it used to cause a lot of lag .. but so did FFA5 XD and as time moved on, so has the spec of modern computers. If you guys do add entity maps, try to be as subtle as possible I'd say.

Thing is that most of the entity maps I've seen are just a cluster of things that do not add together and make my eyes bleed. We've always had a very standard map cycle and at least customizing the already present maps would be great, but it must be done with a style in mind and not just...customize everything

The Duel_5 map is a horrendous eyesore in my opinion. Burn it in it's own firey mess.

Im not big on SP maps for MP... but if anyone is looking for suggestions to look into... See how it might work...

t3_bounty

hoth2

vjun1

vjun3

t1_danger

t3_hevil

• Like 1

That was an interesting discussion. But the problems is the mapping parts. You will need to get rid of npcs otherwise it may be crashed due to the entities and other codes

And the other half problem is mostly spawnpoints. It was not designed for multiplayers, but mainly for single players. If this will occurr in multiplayers with only one spawnpoint, then most players who happens to be hopping in game will be telefragging. That is the worst thing to think about. It take some works to be done. Some of other maps will have less ffa spaces and FPS issues. It's depend who you're asking.

• 11 months later...

I completely agree. 

The same 5 base maps over and over gets boring quickly. 

There is a lot of really awesome single player maps we could play on which would also let us do some vehicle combat

• 3 months later...

Ik this is sort of an older topic but ive seen many SP maps be used without the need for a download before. The effort might be a pain but it defintely helps mix things up, cause at the moment its just the same few maps being repeated and 2 of them are basically the same.

• Like 1

I've mentioned this myself to Doctor too as I do find it a tad boring seeing the same maps I've seen since I started playing in 2012. xD

• Like 1

@RoseTyler @TheDoctor @Crysophylax

Maybe we can start having one custom map on the server every month. Change it each month to mix it up? So have the current maps plus a custom. If traffic wants to play when it switches to the custom, go download it?

Being able to explore custom maps with clan members/traffic was always one of my favorite things to do.

5 hours ago, Skullzies said:

I dont agree with forcing randoms to download, workarounds are always neat like entity modding and SP maps

It would be one map in the rotation, not that hard to download a map. ?‍♂️ People have been bringing up entity modding for years around here and no one has completed any for JAWA yet.

Anyone know a good place to start learning how to mod maps? I wanted to learn years ago, but all my contacts back then never had the free time to show me and they have long since retired from the JA community.

• Like 2

People are lazy lol, theres alot of folks who are too lazy to lookup and download files and place them in base. If you are gonna have to force people to download stuff you might as well have more then one ? Im not gonna pretend to know anything about entity modding, but boy that would be sweet!