The Sith Game XXIX: Phase 18 (End)

Helena Revan

All of the roles have been assigned, and confirmation messages sent to each player, asking them to reply confirming their participation and acceptance of the role assigned.  Please check your inboxes and send your replies!  If anyone wants to change roles, now is the time to let me know.  Remember not to tell anyone else what your role is—it can and will be used against you by the other players!  There's also still time to sign up if anyone was sitting on the fence.

Helena

A few important reminders for all players before we begin:

1. Please try to stay active during the game.  Ideally all players would check the game daily to see what's going on, and weigh in on events.  It's okay if you have to miss a day or two, but please let the Game Master know if you'll be gone for a while, or you're thinking of withdrawing from the game.  The GM can usually work something out!  If you're active, but don't post anything for several days, the other players may think you're inactive, or pretending to be because you have something to hide!

2. Unless you're on the Sith or Jedi teams, don't discuss the game with other players while it's still going on.  That includes initiating private conversations with other players over Discord or the forums!  If you need to speak to another player without anybody else knowing about it, contact the Game Master, who will determine whether and how this occurs.

3. If you want to say something out-of-character during the game, such as asking a question about the rules, or making a comment, you may enclose it in [ooc] [/ooc] tags or their equivalent.  However, if you want to post memes or get really wild, please use spoiler tags (the little eye in the toolbar) so that your posts don't confuse the other players.

• Like 4

TSG XXIX Title 2.png

The Sith Game XXIX: Prologue

First Phase Begins: Tuesday, 10:00 a.m. EST/3:00 p.m. (JAWA)

The archaeological survey team gathered the last of their equipment from the shuttle, and the pilot bid them farewell.  "I can't go into that valley due to the geomagnetic interference," he explained.  "Nav systems won't work, and with all that cloudcover it just isn't safe.  Oh, and there's the curse..."  The archaeologists knew all about the supposed curse of the Valley of the Mist—if they hadn't already read it in the mission briefing, their talkative pilot would have made sure of that.  He seemed to know a dozen variations on the curse, none of them consistent with the others, or what little was known of the valley's history.  It was all superstitious nonsense.  Nonetheless, looking through the deep defile that led through the mountains and down into the valley, the archaeologists still felt a sense of foreboding.

"I'll pick you up here in two months' time," said the pilot.  "Ordinary comms won't work in there due to the interference—but if you have a real emergency, send someone to that relay tower over there," he said, indicating a frame structure on the side of the mountain, just above the landing zone.  A small shack at the tower's base contained communications equipment that would reach the global network.  The shuttle's cargo door slowly shut, and their transport lifted off and vanished in the distance.  The archaeologists shouldered their packs and lifted their equipment, and began the long journey into the misty valley.

Tall, nearly impassible mountains surrounded the valley on every side, and the vegetation was thick wherever the team could see through the thick and swirling mist.  A narrow path, perhaps the remains of an ancient road, led down and eastward.  From time to time, the archaeologists passed tumbled-down stonework or masonry, the remains of long-vanished structures, and other trails seemed to diverge from their course, heading in various directions.  Perhaps they were also old roads, or maybe animal tracks.

After several kilometers, the archaeologists neared the valley floor, and exited the forest canopy, finding themselves in a vast swamp, through which their path wound, fortunately just above the water line.  Here too, the debris of ruined structures peeked out of the mist.  After a long trek through the marshy landscape, the ground began to rise again, and when the mist parted they could see a tall, conical mountain in the direction they were heading.  Mount Darudius was a dormant volcano, and the most notable feature on the map of the valley.  Otherwise, foothills surrounded the swamp, leading up into the mountains to the north and south, with a large lake on a plateau in the southern part of the valley, and a river with several tributaries winding around the contours of the ground, and into the northeast.

TSG XXIX Map.png

At last, they reached a relatively level spot in the hills below the volcano.  There was a clearing large enough to pitch camp, perhaps because the soil was too thin for large trees, although the jungle surrounded them on all sides.  "What's that over there?" asked one of the archaeologists, as the team began to pitch their tents.  Another replied, "there's supposed to be a temple near here.  Maybe that's it."  And so it was.  Beneath the canopy just east of the camp stood an intact temple, evidently constructed by the mysterious civilization that had once inhabited the valley.  As the archaeologists finished their camp site, they went up to the temple, clearing the ground of fallen branches and vines.  "It's really in good shape compared with the rest of the valley", said one.  "Makes you wonder what else might be hiding out there."

Temple.jpg

The archaeological team entered the darkened structure.  "Look, torches!" said one of the explorers.  "I've found some braziers," said another.  Believing the structure sound enough to risk it, the archaeologists lit some fires so they could see the interior properly.  Rows of columns supported a solid-looking ceiling, and light from the forest beyond penetrated large windows on each side.  "It's well-built, can't deny that," said one.  Up on a daïs sat a carved stone altar between two braziers.  On the wall behind it was a curious figure: a six-pointed star within a circle.  Two glittering gems decorated the star's arms: one purple and one orange.  From the look of it, there had once been several more, but these were all that remained.

Temple Interior.jpg

"Looks like we have our work cut out for us," said one of the archaeologists.  "There's a lot to explore and document here!"

Notes: [hr]

Welcome to the Valley of the Mist!  You are all archaeologists, whose mission is to study the ruins of a long-vanished civilization of which little is known.  Feel free to explore the environment.  The map will give you a general overview of the valley, but it is a modern depiction, and may not contain everything that there is to discover!  For purposes of this game, you may assume you have general archaeological equipment, such as picks and shovels, knives, material for writing, drawing, surveying, measuring, and datapads suitable for analyzing and recording things—the geomagnetic interference is not strong enough to prevent them from working within a small radius around you.  You have enough food rations to last two months, and some cooking equipment.  If in doubt as to whether you have any other equipment or supplies, ask the Game Master.

Members of the Sith and Jedi teams will receive their instructions shortly.  As usual, the Sith get the first move.  Archaeologists, don't sit on your hands—collecting clues and evidence may take more time and effort than using Force powers to fight the Sith, but it's vitally important—if you leave it up to the Jedi to do all of the work for you, then your expedition is doomed!  The first phase will be posted Tuesday, with luck a bit earlier than this, since there (probably) won't be as much writing involved.  There won't usually be screenshots—I just decided that it would be easier to build some stuff than draw it.  In reality there should be more trees around the temple, and you cannot really see the volcano behind it in the picture.

The status page—the first post in this thread—will serve to update you as to which players are alive, dead, or (occasionally) missing.  I'm also leaving up the spoilers containing general information about the game, answers to frequently-asked questions, and important rule reminders.  Other information and reminders will be dispensed as necessary in notes sections like these, accompanying most phases.  If you have any other questions about the game and how to play it, feel free to contact the Game Master privately, or use [ooc] [/ooc] tags in your replies for anything that all of the players can know.  If you wish to do something out of the sight of the other players, please use the forum's private messenger, so that the Game Master will have a record of it, along with any replies.

May the Force be with you all!

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Greetings folks. In case we haven't spoken before, my name is Kulimar. Finished my Master's of Science in Geology a few years ago and busted my ass off to get a seat on this venture. These gems look quite interesting...

I wonder how long this volcano has been inactive, and if there are any structures that would allow us to peer down the crater to inspect the lava.

[ooc] @Helena Revan Would we know about how long of a journey / how many miles it would take to reach the relay tower in case of an emergency? [/ooc]

Hi everyone, people usually call me Wolfy. I'm glad I get to share this expedition with you, I was told you're all very competent. I'm very curious about what the pilot said, specifically about the different variations of the curse. I'll explore around the rest of the valley, see if I can't find at least some common points about all of these stories, perhaps with some older buildings or ruins. Surely there can't be variations of a same story unless it was passed orally from people to other people. I'll see if I can't find some written document about the curse. We can't take this lightly, trifling with powers beyond our comprehension is unwise.

• Like 1

Hello Wolfy and Kulimar. Nice to meet you two. Hey Kulimar, I heard if that the volcano is ready to erupt any minute now! (Obvious lie via facial expressions)

[Also forgets to introduce himself.]

• Haha 1

[ooc] Let's say that the map is about twenty-five kilometers from east to west.  It will take several hours to return from camp to the narrow pass in the western mountains, and a trip there and back again will take all day. [/ooc]

• Thanks 1

Hello guys, I am Arceus. I am a historian, but in my native country, most historians don't find jobs and become taxi drivers. This is because I also took some lessons in archaeology and here I am. Old buildings are my thing, so that's why I will observe the temple veeeery close. Because of my allergy against most plants out here it's also the best for me to stay inside for a bit until I have accilmated 😧

• Like 1

Hey everyone, I'm Rose. I'm a traveller, I like to explore new places and meet new people along the way, helping where I can, when I can.
I came on this trip with this guy *points to TheDoctor*. He's the reason I got into travelling really.
Anything you guys need, let me know and I'll do what I can to assist!

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, RoseTyler said:

Hey everyone, I'm Rose. I'm a traveller, I like to explore new places and meet new people along the way, helping where I can, when I can.
I came on this trip with this guy *points to TheDoctor*. He's the reason I got into travelling really.
Anything you guys need, let me know and I'll do what I can to assist!

You picked an interesting way to meet new people. There's less than 20 people on this mission! What other places have you traveled to?

[OOC] Would it be mysogynistic for Kulimar to ask if the reason Doctor got your character into traveling is that you're a gold digger?[/OOC]

• Haha 1

Hello peeps,

People like to call me Xel because of an inside story, but nothing related to the quest. I studied in Ethnologia and know various culture and architecture along to it. These gems indeed look interesting. Looks like it could be for any type of cultism or some tradition. The volcano is as interesting as the temple, but we gotta be careful about when it will erupt. Let's just hope we have a seismologist [ooc] (idk if it's the right term to it, Wolfy will correct me if not xd) [/ooc] in our crew. We will find out soon about the back story of this place and also about why and when the civilization left. I'm excited to work with you guys, the team feels promising yet so far!

P.S: Spiders are not my thing though, I'm a bit arrachnophobic.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Bandeth said:

You picked an interesting way to meet new people. There's less than 20 people on this mission! What other places have you traveled to?

What a great question. There's so many to list at this point. We've been to Bespin, Naboo, Hoth, Yavin and Tatooine to name but a few!

10 minutes ago, Bandeth said:

[OOC] Would it be mysogynistic for Kulimar to ask if the reason Doctor got your character into traveling is that you're a gold digger?[/OOC]

[OOC] LMFAO! Go ahead! xD [/OOC]

• Haha 1

*Bows politely* Hello there, my name is Redshadow, its a bit of a strange name I know, but feel free to call me Reds for short. I'm looking forward to uncovering the mysteries of the valley with all of you. I'm particularly interested in learning more about this curse, it may be just a superstition arisen from the unique atmosphere of the area, but there are some strange things out there in the galaxy... Either way, I think its prudent to get further acquainted with the temple and its surrounded area before I settle into my quarters. Anyone is welcome to join me if they wish. 

I'll join you RS. Tomorrow I think we should form a few groups for exploration, with some of us going to the relay tower, some inspecting the volcano (if possible), and others looking for leads for the missing gems! Anyone have any additional ideas for exploration?

This is a brilliant idea to form a group toghether! Can I be in charge of the temple investigation or gem search if anyone is okay with that? I have an idea which might be good; let's observe the trees, we can see on their trunk a clue about the frequency of the volcano eruptions, but sometimes it is not reliable due to potential high climate here.

[ooc] Helena? Do we, characters, have the map at disposition? [/ooc]