960x0.jpg?fit=scale

Create a signature based on: The Joker (Does not have to be the new movie

Closing date for submissions: Oct 21st, 2019

Next Week's Theme

TBA

Submission Stage Rules:

Participating rules:

• Anyone can submit.
  • Screenshots are allowed JUST be creative. Don't leave them unedited!
  • Signatures resolution must be 500x250 or less. Make sure you do stick to the size limit. Width AND height. Entries with more pixels than the size limit won't be put up for the vote!
  • Do not use your past work which has already been submitted to the competition.
  • Do not use work that has been taken from another Author.
  • No Nudity.
  • No offensive remarks.

Breaking any of these rules can, and will, lead to disqualification from the current weeks SoTW.  

Participants can also write about their submitted signature. To do so, please write it underneath a title, Creator's Note. It will then be pasted under your submission in the voting stage.

SotW 509 Helena.png

Artist's note:

For once this turned out pretty close to what I originally imagined!  I started with a typical playing card, a little off-white and used-looking so it wouldn't look fake and blend into the white forums background as a pop-out, painted over the Jack using the cloning tool, and found a good slab-serif font to make the "JOKER" indexes.  I duplicated and rotated the cards to make sure they not only made a spread, but didn't look exactly the same.  Rendering four Jokers went more smoothly than I expected!  At first I thought I'd have to make them double-sided since not all of them had full bodies, and I wasn't sure how to fit them onto the cards, but I decided to let them run up to the edge, and painted in the missing parts of the suits on Joaquin Phoenix and Cesar Romero.  Phoenix needed to be brightened to match Romero and Nicholson, and I'd already brightened Heath Ledger since the original was rather dark.  It also had a strong yellow light, but using the hue-contrast tool, I desaturated the yellow and shifted it over toward green, making it look more normal.  I also darkened Romero's hair, since it looked a little too yellow in the original.  For the background, I found some playing cards on a table that faded to black.  The cards were too white, but I selected all the white and colorized it, making it a very pale, desaturated orange to match the worn look of the foreground cards.  Then I overlaid a playing card index wallpaper over the top of the background, tiling across, colorized to a bluish green, used the gradient tool to have it fade to transparency, and then lowered the opacity to 15%.  The frame and text both use metallic gradients.  There are two drop shadows: one to make the text a little easier to see where it crosses over onto the white background, which is just a duplicate of the text layer, filled in with black and turned into a Gaussian blur, and the other behind the whole signature to make it a little more three-dimensional.

1 hour ago, Andanas said:

This has been extended to the 21st.  All future SotW will be two weeks now. Hopefully we get more than 1 or two entries then. 

yeah Ill try to bust out some more...my class eats away almost all my free time.

Archived